Directed by Chi-jan Hou
originally called Nan fang xiao yang mu chang
So on the way home from SE Asia, I decided I still want to watch Mandrin movies.. are you shocked? I could have watched Life of Pi, or Django Unchained.. Asian persuasionn babyyy
I decided to give a love story movie a chance again - wanted to see what asian movies are like when they aren't bloody war or kung fu films.. This film was pretty good. There were a lot of stop-motion scenes that I thought was pretty cool and different, and there was a lot of animation intercut here and there - sometimes an animation on a page that a character was looking at would come to life.
The visuals were great, the colors were awesome, and I liked the amount of 'moving image' methods that were combined with cinematic film making - it was inspiring.
The story is nice - like Touch of the Light - a cute little love story. Lots of strange and comical behavior and scenes.
The major let down was the end - this kid is confronted by his ex, and they had what I thought was the lamest conversation in the world.. I won't say more in case you decide to see this film (which I would recommend because it is cinematically great and the characters are funny too)
it was then that I noticed this seemed to be a pattern for the other two asian films I recently saw.. what the hell? have these directors ever seen IP Man?? I guess they are boycotting epic ending right now, not something I'm into, but the movie was good overall. Check it out mafakaz.
No comments:
Post a Comment