Saturday, February 22, 2014

Gravity - 2013


Directed by Alfonso Cuarón

Almost forgot about this movie - probably because I didn't have much to say other than DUH

If you did NOT see this IMAX 3D when you had the chance - YOU MISSED OUT.

I argued about this with someone around Halloween because he doesn't like 3D movies period. I understand that, but I just want to say that if you're in the 'biz' and you aren't watching 3D movies - then you are one step behind my people. He was an actor, and that is no excuse because 3D movies are going to effect how actors do their jobs too.

Either way - Alfonso ! This guy directed 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' (Haven't seen it - I know, shame on me) AND he directed 'Children of Men' (FUCK YEA)

GRAVITY WAS FUCKING AWESOME - Off the top of my head, it is now the Third best 3D movie I've seen I think, up there with 'The Amazing Spiderman' and 'Avatar' ... I know 'Star Trek 2' had a sick 3D opening sequence (when Spock is in the Volcano) but the rest of the movie was ehh.. when it came to the 3D - Gravity was 3D FUCKING AMAZING right up to the end.

Definitely my favorite shot in the film is when Sandra Bullock floats away from the space station and she is spinning head over heel and watching the earth and sun - we see her POV - and it was cool because I was recently studying the 'zoetrope effect' and researching other optical illusions, and this shot was a great optical illusion. Before you freak out - I know it was not 'technically' an illusion within the context of the film, because she actually IS flipping head over heel - but she calms down and if you are watching, you can focus and make it look like you (she) is standing still, and everything else is just moving around you - I think that is the realization she had that helped her relax (it's what helped me relax for god sakes) And I think that's why it was my favorite shot, because it really impacted me emotionally (gave me a damn anxiety attack almost) and that is what we go to the movies for right?

If you don't happen to see it IMAX 3D, try to see it anyways because it's space and space is fucking awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment