Directed by Jonathan Liebesman
He is also the director of 'Battle: Los Angeles' which I have mixed feelings about (after seeing the trailer) ... BUT I feel more inclined to see it after seeing his previous film 'The Killing Room'
The Killing Room was pretty cool I can't lie. I am actually not sure why it didn't get better reviews, but i speculate because people who review movies now are a bunch of fucking morons.
I have to rant a little, if you just need my 2 cents: watch the movie, and keep an open mind.
I peaked onto Rotten Tomatoes to see what those people had to say, and there wasn't much to read. The one negative review compared this movie to torture porn?
The movie says based on true events - I must say it is LAME to say that now (even though this movie was made in 2009) EVERY fucking movie is based on true events, it's retarded. BUT this movie I could believe in - that may be my biased opinion that I believe the government is corrupt and a puppet show...but think about this:
I think you all heard of Saddam Hussein?
In case you haven't - he was the president of Iraq (the country we have been at war with since about a thrid of my life now). We decided we didn't like the way he was doing things in Iraq so we went over there, dropped about a TRILLION dollars worth of fucking bombs on everyone, found the bastard brought him back to the United States and lynched him ..... That is my version of what happened anyways ..... I looked into some older articles and found one of the things he was on trail for:
The Barzani Clan Abductions of 1983:
Masoud Barzani led the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP), an ethnic Kurdish revolutionary group fighting Baathist oppression. After Barzani cast his lot with the Iranians in the Iran-Iraq War, Hussein had some 8,000 members of Barzani's clan, including hundreds of women and children, abducted. It is assumed that most were slaughtered; thousands have been discovered in mass graves in southern Iraq.
After reading more, I learned that there were two different groups trying to over-throw the Hussein party, and he was doing everything in his power to stop that from happening.
Now - the important thing to take from that article is "ABDUCTED."
I'm sure that this article was way different than what happens in The Killing Room ... but there are a few similarities...
In the movie, people are technically abducted, in the sense that they are not allowed to leave once they have arrived to the room. Also similar to the article - the people who were abducted are eventually killed (the article says the people in Iraq were 'slaughtered') my point is - there were people who were 'kidnapped' and eventually 'killed.'
My question - is it SO far fetched that something like this could be happening?
The other topic that could be discussed after watching this film is: class and social economics.
Maybe those aren't the exact right words to describe the topic, but in the context of the film - the people (characters) who showed up to the 'room' were people looking for easy money (probably because they are poor - AND THERE ARE NO FUCKING JOBS).
This might be a more subtle part of the movie - but it did deal with ethics. I should probably say first - I don't think what they did in the movie was right. But, the characters (testing people) seemed to be a bunch of idiots that are not doing anything positive in the world.
This brings me to why I think the film probably got mixed reviews - because it asked a moral question that was just a little too heavy AND it allowed us to look into an 'evil' that we might not be ready for.
Sure, anyone who has seen the movie can tell me - killing people just is not right alex - bottom line. BUT no one seems to think that way when they are watching the show 'Dexter' Why? - He's killing people who are killers, so it is okay. And yes this is all fun and games and useless discussion when it comes to movies and TV because at the end of the day none of this shit is real...
BUT - if that is your philosophy - killing people is not okay, AND you didn't like the movie because you thought the bitch should have saved everyone at the end - then I propose to you:
WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN WE DROPPED SHIT LOADS OF BOMBS ON AN ENTIRE COUNTRY.
I guess what I'm trying to say is - I THINK this movie got mixed reviews because of the 'evil' that was portrayed and triumphed. SAW got a bigger hype, and the 'evil' guy in that movie was okay because he was just some crazy guy who was fucking with people that kind of had it coming to them. In 'The Killing Room' the evil force is a team of intelligent people and their prey are a bunch of random civilians. Both movies have the same concept - lets put 'normal' people in crazy ass circumstances and see what happens, but at the end of the day I feel like (and maybe I am wrong - I hope I'm wrong) Everyone who sees both films will ACCEPT 'Saw' because the victims were bad people and the evil man was a lunatic BUT won't accept 'The Killing Room' because we don't know if the people were bad and the evil man was a smart son of a bitch with a whole team of smart mother fuckers (scary). AND at the end of the day - the result is the same - people died.
That is why I LIKE the movie - because it asks a pretty taboo moral question and makes you think real hard. If you don't like thinking - maybe this film is not for you.
After reading more, I learned that there were two different groups trying to over-throw the Hussein party, and he was doing everything in his power to stop that from happening.
Now - the important thing to take from that article is "ABDUCTED."
I'm sure that this article was way different than what happens in The Killing Room ... but there are a few similarities...
In the movie, people are technically abducted, in the sense that they are not allowed to leave once they have arrived to the room. Also similar to the article - the people who were abducted are eventually killed (the article says the people in Iraq were 'slaughtered') my point is - there were people who were 'kidnapped' and eventually 'killed.'
My question - is it SO far fetched that something like this could be happening?
The other topic that could be discussed after watching this film is: class and social economics.
Maybe those aren't the exact right words to describe the topic, but in the context of the film - the people (characters) who showed up to the 'room' were people looking for easy money (probably because they are poor - AND THERE ARE NO FUCKING JOBS).
This might be a more subtle part of the movie - but it did deal with ethics. I should probably say first - I don't think what they did in the movie was right. But, the characters (testing people) seemed to be a bunch of idiots that are not doing anything positive in the world.
This brings me to why I think the film probably got mixed reviews - because it asked a moral question that was just a little too heavy AND it allowed us to look into an 'evil' that we might not be ready for.
Sure, anyone who has seen the movie can tell me - killing people just is not right alex - bottom line. BUT no one seems to think that way when they are watching the show 'Dexter' Why? - He's killing people who are killers, so it is okay. And yes this is all fun and games and useless discussion when it comes to movies and TV because at the end of the day none of this shit is real...
BUT - if that is your philosophy - killing people is not okay, AND you didn't like the movie because you thought the bitch should have saved everyone at the end - then I propose to you:
WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU WHEN WE DROPPED SHIT LOADS OF BOMBS ON AN ENTIRE COUNTRY.
I guess what I'm trying to say is - I THINK this movie got mixed reviews because of the 'evil' that was portrayed and triumphed. SAW got a bigger hype, and the 'evil' guy in that movie was okay because he was just some crazy guy who was fucking with people that kind of had it coming to them. In 'The Killing Room' the evil force is a team of intelligent people and their prey are a bunch of random civilians. Both movies have the same concept - lets put 'normal' people in crazy ass circumstances and see what happens, but at the end of the day I feel like (and maybe I am wrong - I hope I'm wrong) Everyone who sees both films will ACCEPT 'Saw' because the victims were bad people and the evil man was a lunatic BUT won't accept 'The Killing Room' because we don't know if the people were bad and the evil man was a smart son of a bitch with a whole team of smart mother fuckers (scary). AND at the end of the day - the result is the same - people died.
That is why I LIKE the movie - because it asks a pretty taboo moral question and makes you think real hard. If you don't like thinking - maybe this film is not for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment