Friday, October 14, 2011

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes



Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

Directed by: Vinton Heuck (7 episodes) / Crio Nieli (7) / Frank Paur (6) / Sebastian Montes (4)


I never read the Avengers comic books - so hold that against me.

I liked the TV series. It was fun, there were a ton of badass fight sequences. The characters are pretty funny, and by that I think I mean - the characters are corny.

There is a lot of classic dialogue that is corny and cliche, and the villains always, ALWAYS, gave the Avengers a way out of a tight spot (which I also thought was cliche) - I thought a lot about 'Austin Powers' and how they make fun of the fact that these evil villains are always giving the super heroes an opportunity to escape capture and defeat the bad guy.

Two things I did NOT like about the show, but I let is slide because it seemed to be a children's cartoon:

1. The fighting was a little too crazy. I know that sounds a little funny since 'The Avengers' as a whole is imaginary.. but I didn't like when they would fight and one of the Avengers would be thrown through three buildings and 40 stories to the ground, but he would get up right away and continue fighting.. I know I didn't read the comics, so I am un-aware of how much damage these super heroes can actually take.. but sometimes I was asking myself - are you fucking serious? why the fuck is nobody dieing?

The other thing I didn't like about the fighting is that it seemed kind of random to me. I enjoyed more when it was kind of up to ONE of the avengers to pull the team out of a tight spot. For example, there was one episode towards the beginning when they had to fight some villain who could control gravity, and the only person that could defeat him was The Hulk because he was too strong for the villain to manipulate with gravity.

I think it would have been more interesting to match the Avengers against villains that would play against their strengths and weaknesses.. As another example - there were often times when one of the super heroes would be getting their ass-whooped when they shouldn't be .. and it was up to another avenger to save them, but I didn't like that because it made the villains seem weak to me. For example, 'Wasp' aka Jan can shrink and shoot lasers that don't seem to hurt anyone... but she can also grow, and there were plenty of times that she was fighting and I was thinking - why the fuck don't you just grow into a massive giant and kick some ass? Anyways, that leads me into the other major problem I have with the cartoon:

2. The characters were not interesting. I'm finally glad that I can reference something that has TOO much action for me... well... I don't know if there was TOO much action, but this builds on the first problem I had - the characters lost individualism (in my opinion) bottom line - I just did not care about any of them or see why they needed to be on a team. Their unique powers where not unique (with the exception of like 3 or 4 incidents - like when the hulk defeated the gravity guy) but I think I would have liked the show much more if it was like 'Lost' in the sense that - each episode revolves around ONE character.

There were a few times that the show was about ONE of the avengers, those episodes were more in the beginning, but those episodes were my favorite ones. I think I would have enjoyed the show a lot more if it were done that way because then by the end of the series I would know more about each avenger and care more about them.


At the end of the day - The show is fun and will bring you up to speed a little bit so that the movie may make more sense. As far as the movie goes - the film makers I think are very lucky because they have a bad ass cast for the movie and since the show kind of sucks - they have a GOLDEN opportunity to make the movie FUCKING AWESOME (and I hope they do)

The cartoon could be WAY better if it was just less arbitrary and chaotic: there are 74 villains on the loose - each episode can be simply about The Avengers taking them all down, but also show the importance of each team member at the same time, and of course ultimately and slowly building on the MAJOR plot of the series - which is Thor's brother trying to rule everything. It's like there are too many characters and the creators just don't know what to do except make them pound the shit out of each other for no reason every single episode - open your minds guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment