Thursday, October 6, 2011
Die Antwoord - Evil Boy
I was recently put onto this Rap Group from South Africa called 'Die Antwoord'
Die Antwoord is Afrikaans for 'The Answer'
The group is three - DJ Hi-Tek (makes the beats) / Ninja (the dude) / Yo-Landi Visser (the chic)
In this video they have a guest appearance by Evil Boy.
I like this video because it reminds me of old music videos I used to see on Mtv (when Mtv played music videos?) and I feel like all the videos used to always be unique and weird... now there are just tons of whores and money and alcohol ... shit is getting old, that's why i'm glad there are dope Rap groups in South Africa that are holding it down.
My favorite thing about this song is 'Evil Boy's' Story
He is Xhosa (Nelson Mandela is Xhosa too) and to become a 'man' in this culture you must go thru a ritual that involves circumcising yourself.. Long story short - these circumcisions don't always turn out so well and ruin the man's man parts if you know what i mean.
Evil Boy refused to go thru with this tradition, and now he will never be recognized as a 'man' by his people (hence the name Evil BOY)
I like that story a lot because I think that is a pretty courageous thing for him to do - stand up for what he believes in
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment