Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Evil Dead - 1981


Directed by Sam Raimi

This was Raimi's first feature, a low budget horror film that was FUCKING AWESOME

As far as I know or what people told me anyways .. On IMDB there is a 70min movie called 'It's Murder' that I never heard of and there's not a lot of info about it on IMDB.. anyways - that came out in '77.. 4 years later he made a sick debut feature - NIIIICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEE!

It was corny as shit, and I have yet to see the other Evil Dead's .. I'm interested to see what direction those films go.. BUT I LOVED IT and it was pretty brilliant all things considered.

I think it was corny because of the acting and the low-budget special effects, but I can't lie - was impressed with the special effects he did - like the tree rape scene - that shit was crazy.. and he got some actresses to put some good boob in the movie - bravo sir. (thinking back, I wonder if there is an evil dead porn remake type thing? trees raping girls and girls turning into demons?)

My favorite shit tho was definitely the camera work - there were a LOT of SICK shots in this flick. I also dug the sound effects big time! and just sound in the movie in general. For example, when they are driving up to the house - there is this horrible banging noise - bang, Bang, BANG - it was almost like a heart beat - and it was a part of the movie - they roll up and the banging noise is coming from the house they have to stay at - the wind is pushing the gate into another piece of wood (THE FREEZE FRAME IN THE YOUTUBE TRAILER IS RIGHT ON WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT)

Simple sound tricks and cool shots = good suspense. It was a great reminder that more often than not - simple is just better.

If you haven't seen this - then you should - it's Sam Raimi FOO !

No comments:

Post a Comment